ESS-00 Multiple Signed Receipts Issue

1997-11-05 16:47:16
All,

The "Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME" Internet Draft (ESS-00)
describes the process of an originator requesting signed receipts and a
recipient returning signed receipts.  There can be multiple SignerInfos
present within a SignedData object.  Each SignerInfo can include
authenticatedAttributes.  Therefore, a single SignedData object may include
multiple SignerInfos each of which include a receiptRequest attribute.  I
believe that this should be allowed and should be documented in the ESS.

For example, if an originator desires to send a signed message requesting
signed receipts to a set of users composed of RSA-only and DSA-only users.
The originator's software can include one SignerInfo that includes an RSA
signature value and a receiptRequest attribute.  The same SignedData object
could include another SignerInfo that includes a DSA signature value and a
receiptRequest attribute.  In this example, the RSA-capable recipients would
return an RSA signed receipt to the originator and the DSA-capable
recipients would return a DSA signed receipt to the originator.

I believe that the general processing rules in ESS should state that a
receiving agent should build a signed receipt for each SignerInfo in the
SignedData object for which it verifies the signature and which requests a
signed receipt.  This may result in multiple signed receipts being
constructed and returned for a single SignedData object.

I also believe that we should add a restriction that only one receiptRequest
attribute can be included in the authenticatedAttributes of a SignerInfo.

I will include specific comments to ESS-00 in a follow-up message, but I
wanted to raise this issue separately because I beleive that it deserves
special attention.

John Pawling
jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com
J.G. Van Dyke & Associates, Inc.