RE: Comments To ESS-00

From:        John Pawling [SMTP:jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com]
Sent:        Wednesday, November 05, 1997 2:51 PM
To:        Scott Hollenbeck; 'IETF S/MIME'
Subject:        Re: Comments To ESS-00

All,

I agree with all of Scott's comments, except that I strongly believe that
the ContentIdentifier and EncapsulatedContentType attributes must be allowed
to be used as attributes included in the authenticatedAttributes of a
SignerInfo.  They are required to replicate the MSP signedContentIdentifier
and encapsulatedContentType fields included in the MSP SignatureBlock
SignatureInformation.  They are most useful in SignerInfos that do not
request signed receipts.  I agree with Scott's comments that OIDs must be
defined for these attributes.

[SAH]  OK, now I recall where they came from.  That being the case,

ContentIdentifier needs to be defined.  How about this:

ContentIdentifier ::= OCTET STRING

Then, the following should happen:

Section 1.3.4
Change ContentIdentifier to contentIdentifier and EncapsulatedContentType
to encapsulatedContentType to reference the to-be-defined OIDs.

Section 2.8
Change the definition of signedContentIdentifier from OCTET STRING to
ContentIdentifier.

I think that closes the loop.

Scott