RE: Certificate request format (was RE: S/MIME V3 Msg SpecComments)

1997-11-07 15:16:33
On Friday, November 07, 1997 11:58 AM, dpkemp(_at_)missi(_dot_)ncsc(_dot_)mil
[SMTP:dpkemp(_at_)missi(_dot_)ncsc(_dot_)mil] wrote:
But IMO, IETF S/MIME should specify a single certificate management
message format as a MUST-implement, and that should be the syntax
specified by PKIX CMP.  Implementors are always free to include
additional functionality over and above that required by the spec.
I expect most vendors will offer both S/MIME v2 and legacy PKCS-10
support even if S/MIME v3 does not require them.

I agree that there should be a single MUST implement.  However, my
understanding of CMP is that it is quite broad in its format (there are
several options to choose from, one of which is PKCS #10 encapsulated in
the CMP format).

Do I misunderstand CMP (that is, does CMP define something other than
the big CHOICE for PKIBody that has as one choice the PKCS #10)?

It sounds like we have to do a separate document to constrain a MUST
profile for CMP down to size, if I understand this right.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060