Re: Certificate request format (was RE: S/MIME V3 MsgSpecComment s)

1997-11-10 10:37:02
From: "Debbie Stulberg" <dstulberg(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>

I would not like to see support for our OnSite or other shipping
solutions suddenly make a product inelligible to call itself S/MIME.

The statement "Clients supporting key generation MUST support..."
appears nearer to what people intend.

        Phill

Phillip M Hallam-Baker
Principal Consultant
VeriSign Inc

Yes, "must use" is technically incorrect; "must support the use of" or
"must be able to use, at the user's option" is what we assume Blake meant.
That is the standard interpretation for IETF requirement levels.

  (Now if this message had been signed, we might know who *really* sent it -
  Debbie claiming to be Phill, or Phill borrowing Debbie's machine :-).
  Debbie does exercise due diligence to protect her private key,
  correct? :-)