RE: A draft ASN.1 module for Cryptographic Message Syntax

1997-11-19 14:36:55
On Wednesday, November 19, 1997 10:38 AM, dpkemp(_at_)missi(_dot_)ncsc(_dot_)mil
[SMTP:dpkemp(_at_)missi(_dot_)ncsc(_dot_)mil] wrote:
I agree with Jim and Russ :-).

Oh, yeah?  Well I agree with you.

I'm definitely opposed to having a choice of two valid encodings.
If we can't get agreement on always using CER for parts of CMS that
both a) require a distinguished encoding and b) have unbounded size,
then we should punt and always use DER despite the performance
implications.

I really think that we should go with either DER or CER and then leave
it at that.  I don't think that a hybrid where both are used could be
anything other than confusing.  If we get to the point of using CER,
then we have to punt on S/MIME v2 compatibility and we might as well as
go with PKCS #7 v2 as a base document also.

I really, really wish that CER had come along a bit earlier.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060