Re: Incorporate some PKCS#7 V2.0 items into CMS

1998-01-05 05:59:06
I had not included the authenticated attributes in AuthenticatedData since
didn't see a reason for it (for my purposes, anyway).  I could go ahead and

put it in, since it would work the same way as it does in SignedData.

I also have no objections to using a MAC in SignedData for those cases
where it will actually work (i.e. pre-shared key).

Regards,
Rich

----------
From: Jim Schaad (Exchange) <jimsch(_at_)EXCHANGE(_dot_)MICROSOFT(_dot_)com>
To: 'jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com'; 'Rich Ankney'
<rankney(_at_)erols(_dot_)com>;
ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Incorporate some PKCS#7 V2.0 items into CMS
Date: Sunday, January 04, 1998 10:03 PM

It turns out that I was not fully functional when I wrote the list of
reasons below, and I left out what was to me the most important one.
What I want to do with the MAC modified signedData object is to run CMR
messages via it.  This requires the ability to have authenticated
attributes travel with the message.  This is a feature which is not
provided by the use of the AuthendicatedData structure, and thus the
reason that I put it into the signedData object.   Notice that I was
very careful NOT to duplicate the same set of functionality as is
provided by Authenticated data, that is I am signing the Authenticated
attrubutes and not the data with the MAC algorithm.

That being said, I can live with the lack of support for this and
provide the introduction mechanism in a different way.  This proposal
however does add a new level of ability that was not present in the PKCS
#7 1.5 specifications.

jim schaad