'Signature Purpose' attribute?

1998-01-07 05:31:39
The topic of 'signature purpose' began to be discussed towards the end but
didn't quite seem to reach closure (hols got in the way I think.) I'm
re-raising it here to see if there is any kind of consensus for including it as
a signed attribute in S/MIME.

Brief summary of previous discussion: it was pointed out that due to the
multi-purpose nature of S/MIME, a signature created in one application for one
purpose could be used by another application for another purpose which the
signer did not intend.  This could happen accidentally or maliciously.  E.g. I
sign a local file or an HTML transaction and someone sends it off to a third
party as an e-mail in my name.  So far as I can tell given the current protocol
the recipient will not be able to detect that I hadn't intended to send the
signed content as an authenticated E-mail.  This 'feature' seems to reduce the
usefulness of signatures, particularly for anything  with a legal flavour, I
suspect.

The suggested fix to this problem was to define a 'signature purpose' attribute
which could be optionally included as an authenticated attribute.  Rich Ankney
suggested the value of the attribute could be an OID in line with prior
precedent (including ANSI X9.45).  Purposes could include:

* Authenticate Message originator
* Authenticate file ownership (distinct from previous - 'I want to claim
ownership of this file but am not sending it out as an e-mail')
* Authenticate HTML originator
* Authenticate content reviewer
* Authenticate release authority (to get message through firewall)
* Authenticate Checked by virus scanner
* Authenticate Time stamp
* Etc. - define your own application specific ones.

So different signers could sign a file using different purpose codes using
S/MIME's multiple signature capability.  This could be done without fear of the
purpose being misunderstood.  E.g. I'm signing the content to say I have virus
scanned it or timestamped it, but I deny originating it.  Several signature
purposes could be used together - e.g. I'm originating this e-mail and I have
virus scanned it.

This seems to me to be a simple fix to a potentially awkward problem.  Thoughts
of others?

Tim