Re: Content Type Attribute Question

1998-01-21 11:40:08
John et al,

See below.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Pawling <jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com>
To: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org <ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Date: Tuesday, January 20, 1998 07:53
Subject: Re: Content Type Attribute Question

This results in the following:

   ContentTypeExtended ::= CHOICE {
       built-in                 BuiltInContentType,
       external                 ExternalContentType,
       externalWithSubtype      ExternalContentWithSubtype,
       other                [0] OtherContentType }

I would like to raise a general concern with definition of structures based
on ASN.1 CHOICE.  I personally prefer it if definitions like this had
context-specific tags of every field.

e.g. This definition would be as follows:

    ContentTypeExtended ::= CHOICE {
        built-in                           [0]  BuiltInContentType,
        external                         [1]  ExternalContentType,
        externalWithSubtype   [2]  ExternalContentWithSubtype,
        other                              [3] OtherContentType }

That way we would not have to rely of the definition of BuiltInContentType,
ExternalContentType and ExternalContentWithSubtype being unique from a tag
perspective, and if they ever changed we would not have to worry about
amending this definition retrospectively.

This is a general case "rule" that I believe we should follow for future
definitions that use CHOICE.  I am NOT proposing that we change this
particular structure now as it would not be backwards compatible, and
backwards compatability is an issue (on this list at least).

All things considered, I agree with John's  changes.

Darren