Re: Critical Attributes

1998-01-30 13:23:25
From: Russ Housley <housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com>

All:

The current ASN.1 syntax of attribute is actually a bit of a problem.  If
an attribute is encountered that is unknown, the ASN.1 decoder might die.
To avoid this problem, X.509v3 extensions all have a type of OCTET STRING.
These extensions require a second decode pass to extract the extension
value from the OCTET STRING.

Can some folks with real life implemntation experience of ANY offer
suggestions?

Russ

This might be a problem for some implementations, but it doesn't have
to be.

X.509 has three extensible object classes: certificate extensions,
algorithms (as used in algorithmIdentifier), and RDN attributes.  Only
certificate extensions are encapsulated in an OCTET STRING hole.
If one wants a robust certificate decoder, one must be prepared to find
unrecognized data in the other two classes.

At one point my certificate decoder was not robust :-).  But I believe
it can handle anything now without croaking.  At least it deals
correctly with all instances of unsupported data types that have been
thrown at it so far.