Re: Hashing of CMS signedData objects

1998-02-02 07:58:16
Russ,

Recommend that CMS Section 4 should be replaced with the following text:

"4  Data Content Type

   The data content type is identified by the following object
   identifier:

      id-data OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1) member-body(2)
          us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs7(7) 1 }

   The presence of id-data in signedData SignedContentInfo->sigContentType
   indicates that the sigContent OCTET STRING is present and includes
arbitrary data.

   The presence of id-data in ContentInfo->contentType
   indicates that the content field is present and is defined
   as an OCTET STRING including arbitrary data.

   In both cases, the presence of id-data indicates that the
   OCTET STRING includes arbitrary data, such as ASCII text files;
   the interpretation is left to the application. Such data need
   not have any internal structure (although it may;
   it could even include DER encoded ASN.1 objects)."

- John Pawling