RE: Degenerate CMS-03 Comment

1998-02-24 15:12:11
Blake,

I agree with you.  Forget this proposal.

- John Pawling

At 02:08 PM 2/24/98 -0800, Blake Ramsdell wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 1998 1:45 PM, jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com
[SMTP:jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com] wrote:
Recommend that this should be changed to:  "In the degenerate case
where
there are no signers, the EncapsulatedContentInfo value being "signed"
is
irrelevant.  In this case, the EncapsulatedContentInfo eContentType
MUST
be
set to id-absent-content and the eContent field of the
EncapsulatedContentInfo value MUST be omitted."

Recommend that Russ should define an id-absent-content OID.

Whoops.  Backwards compatibility alert.

I'm not sure how the current v2 clients will react to an OID other than
id-data for a certs-CRLs-only message (which are currently SignedData
with absent content, and zero SignerInfos).

Is it important to make the change to use id-absent-content or
equivalent?

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060