RE: ESS-02 Comments

1998-02-25 19:39:38
I have no problems with John's changes except as follows:

9) Sec 2.3, bullet 5: Please replace bullet 5 with the following: "The
message originator MUST populate the receiptsTo field so that
the recipient
can determine the address(es) to which to send the signed
receipt.  The
message originator MUST populate the receiptsTo field with a
GeneralNames
for each entity to whom the recipient should send the signed receipt
including, but not limited to, the message originator itself.
 GeneralNames
is a SEQUENCE OF GeneralName.  receiptsTo is a SEQUENCE OF
GeneralNames in
which each GeneralNames represents an entity.  There may be multiple
GeneralName instances in the GeneralNames which represents an
entity.  At a
minimum, the message originator MUST populate each entity's
GeneralNames
with the address to which the signed receipt should be sent.
Optionally,
the message originator MAY also populate each entity's
GeneralNames with
other GeneralName instances (such as directoryName)."

This actually refers to Sec 2.2, bullet 5.  The text appears to imply
that the sender must be included on in the receiptsTo field.  This is
not correct.  I suggest the line be  "The message originator MUST
populate the rceiptsTo field with a GeneralNames for each entity to whom
the recipient should send the signed receipt.  The message originator
MUST include their own Generalnames in the receiptsTo field to receive a
receipt."

19) Sec 2.7, last para, last sent: Please replace "The field
is mandatory,
and the originator's name(s) MUST be included in the
receiptsTo list." with
"The message originator MUST populate the receiptsTo field with a
GeneralNames for each entity to whom the recipient should
send the signed
receipt including, but not limited to, the message originator itself."

I have the sma issue here as with the above change and would like to see
similar wording.

25) Sec 3.2: Please change ESSPrivacyMark to:
"ESSPrivacyMark ::= CHOICE {
  pString      PrintableString SIZE (1..ub-privacy-mark-length),
  utf8String   UTF8String SIZE (1..MAX)
  -- If utf8String is used, the contents must be in UTF-8 [UTF8]
}"

This will also require a definition of UTF8String --- should we include
it at this point or only in the appendix at the end?  I think the
appendix is sufficient.

26) Sec 4.2, intro, 3rd para:  Please delete the following
paragraph:  "When
the MLA creates the new attribute list for its signature, the MLA MUST
propagate forward each attribute in the old signature, unless the MLA
explicitly replaces the attribute with a new value. An MLA
will frequently
encounter attributes, or parts of attributes, which it does
not understand.
Attributes such as security labels cannot be removed from the
new signature
being created without compromising the security of the
system. Because it is
impossible to enumerate the future list of attributes which
have security
implicitions, an MLA MUST propagate forward all attributes
which it does not
explicity replace

I would like to see this pargraph kept, in part because it gives a
rational for what follows in the next item.

27) sec 4.2.2, bullet 3.2.1 should be changed as follows:

 OLD: 3.2.1. The MLA strips the existing outermost SignedData layer
             after remembering the value of the mlExpansionHistory
             attribute in that layer, if one was there.

 NEW: 3.2.1. The MLA strips the existing outermost SignedData layer
             after remembering the value of the
mlExpansionHistory and
             all other authenticated attributes in that layer, if
             present.

28) sec 4.2.2, bullet 3.2.3, first para, should be changed as follows:

 OLD: 3.2.3. The MLA adds an mlExpansionHistory attribute. The
             SignedData layer created by the MLA replaces the
original
             outermost SignedData layer.

 NEW: 3.2.3. The outermost signedData layer created by the MLA
             replaces the original outermost signedData layer.  The
             MLA MUST create an authenticated attribute list for the
             new outermost signedData layer which MUST include each
             authenticated attribute present in the original
outermost
             signedData layer, unless the MLA explicitly replaces the
             attribute with a new value.  A special case is the
             mlExpansionHistory attribute.  The MLA MUST add an
             mlExpansionHistory authenticated attribute to the outer
             signedData layer as follows: ....