MIME wrapping of Signed Receipts

1998-03-04 13:27:29
I would like to be specific about the mime wrapping of a Signed Receipt so
we can see consistant behavior on it.  To be specific I want to insert a new
item between bullets 9 and 10 in section 2.4

10.  The signedData/Receipt is then wrapped in an application/pkcs7-mime
wrapper with the smime-type parameter set to "signed-receipt".  This will
allow for identification of signed receipts without haveing to crack the
ASN. The smime-type paramter would still be set as normal in any securiting
layer wrapped around this message.  It makes no sense to try and use a
multipart/signed at this point be cause there is no mime on receipt itself
so the content cannot be detached and placed in a multipart/signed.

Process question:  I don't see any place in the request for the pkcsk7-mime
request where the values of smime-type are restricted.  Are they just
restricted by the S/MIME message draft or are they completely unrestricted?
In one case this edit would need a corresponding change in the message draft
and in the other no changes by Blake are required.

jim