RE: New way of transporting certificates

1998-03-05 15:58:26
On Thursday, March 05, 1998 1:22 PM, Jim Schaad (Exchange)
[SMTP:jimsch(_at_)EXCHANGE(_dot_)MICROSOFT(_dot_)com] wrote:
I would like to propose to the working group a new way of carrying
certificates between clients (as an export/import mechinism) and for
storage
in directory services (such as LDAP).  The current mechinism are
lacking
in
that they have no way to convey certian fields which are desirable.
 One
such field is the SMIMECapabilities of a user.  As I am not a believer
in
inventing new things which I don't have to, I am followin the PKCS #7
certs
only format as a basis.

I believe that at least one vendor (Netscape) deals with this by
creating a SignedData message with no content, and a single SignerInfo.
I don't know if this was the right thing or not, so further comments are
welcome.

I don't know if Jeff, Jamie, or whoever is still on the list and can
comment about this.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060