SignedContentReference (was Re: Rethinking Receipt)

1998-04-14 09:10:45
Dave,

The ESS signed receipt concept and syntax has been designed to meet a
specific purpose which is to simply indicate that the original message was
received and the signature was verified.  Your proposal includes services
that go well beyond that scope.  I am not saying that your proposal is not a
valid requirement, but I am saying that it includes requirements that are
significantly different than the security services provided by the ESS
signed receipt and should be implemented in a separate mechanism.  I am
opposed to proposals that overload the current ESS signed receipt concept
and syntax.  Please re-formulate your proposal so that it is independent of
the ESS signed receipt concept and syntax.  For example, you could propose
the addition of a "signedContentReference" authenticated attribute which
requests that the recipient perform the services that you discuss in your
message.  Your proposal should also propose a strategy for implementing the
"signedContentReference" mechanism.

I am opposed to the following idea because of the aforementioned reasons:

OK, how about using attribute IDs to distinguish purpose.  Come to
think of it, I like this better than the original proposal anyway.

 id-aa-receipt  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ... }
    -- with syntax SignedContentReference

 id-aa-reference OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ... }
    -- with syntax SignedContentReference

 SignedContentReference ::= SEQUENCE {
    contentType ContentType,
    signedContentIdentifier ContentIdentifier,
    originatorSignatureValue OCTET STRING }

John Pawling, jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com
J.G. Van Dyke & Associates, Inc.
www.jgvandyke.com