Re: Signed Label (was RE: 'Signature Purpose' attribute?)

1998-04-14 12:17:25
At 07:51 PM 4/14/98 -0700, John Ross wrote:
I think that it is easier to implemented such a facility at a guard, as the
guard is aware
of the boundary security requirements. Where as, the point of origination
will not be aware
of all the various interworking rules at all the boundaries to the secuity
domain .

I firmly believe that this is out of scope for the ESS document, or of any
IETF standard. ESS is part of a message protocol: we cannot demand that
there be gateways, guards, and so on, for the messages to be transmitted.
We shouldn't prevent those kinds of things, and we don't. In fact, we help
them exist, by specifying how to use MIME wrapping and having unambiguous
meanings for what a signed MIME wrapping means.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium