Re: Authenticated Attributes DER vs BER

1998-04-17 10:33:13
I agree with Eric.

If a cannonical encoding is important then it is probably
necessary to avoid ASN.1 at all costs, DER is simply too
great an overhead for the functionality provided. In most
cases people are simply not interested in re-ordering
parts of signed data.

The big problem with the DER issue is one of scope,
even the requirement that the attributes be DER
encoded is more than flakey IMHO. Consider the
case in which an attribute is defined for convenience
as Octet String even though it is in fact an ASN.1
structure (say the draft editor of the attribute had an
ASN.1 version headache). What is not too obvious
is that this also cuts a hole in the scope of a DER
formatting requirement for the enclosing structure.

As good ideas go the idea of a canonical encoding
has tended to be overated. If people really do take
certificates, break them appart and store the components
in a database with the intention of re-assembly then
fair enough. I tend to think that with disk space at
$50 per Gb that keeping a copy of the original bit
structure arround is much less hassle. And in any case
I don't think that relying on other folk to do DER properly
makes any sense.

This will seriously impact performance and I don't see
any real value that is added.

        Phill