Re: ESS WG Last Call

1998-04-20 14:45:37
From: Russ Housley <housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com>

The Internet Drafts editor has posted draft-ietf-smime-ess-05.txt. Based on
the discussions on the list and talking to people at the LA meeting, I
think it is ready for WG Last Call.

The other documents (CMS, MSG, and CERT) are not quite ready for last call,
but I see no problem with ESS progressing to WG Last Call now.  However, it
will not progress out of the working group without CMS.

Happy reading,
  Russ
  S/MIME WG Chair

Russ,

  ESS draft -05 currently has no description of the contentIdentifier
attribute other than the single sentence in section 1.3:

    ContentIdentifier is an attribute (OCTET STRING) used to carry a unique
    identifier assigned to the message.

The definition of id-aa-contentIdentifier is included under section 2.7
"Receipt Request Syntax", but there is no further discussion of what
the attribute is to be used for or how it is to be constructed.

The only discussion of this attribute I can find is the following message: