Fw: ESSSecurityLabel Version Deletion

1998-05-26 23:57:45
I must have been on a bad day on Friday, I forgot to CC this one to the list
as well ;-)

Darren

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Harter <dharter(_at_)email(_dot_)msn(_dot_)com>
To: John Pawling <jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com>
Date: Sunday, May 24, 1998 12:10
Subject: Re: ESSSecurityLabel Version Deletion

John,

Thanks for re-raising this one.  The DER encoding order for v2 labels has
changed slightly since my original posting which makes the removal of
version even more necessary, IMHO.  The UTF8String in the Privacy marking
choice is not now tagged as [1] (0x81), and will appear before the Version
(0x80) as it now uses the native UTF8String tag (which I can't remember).

The order would be

    Classification - tag 0x02
    PolicyId - tag 0x06
    Privacy - tag 0x1??
    Categories - tag 0x30
    Version - 0x80

i.e. an app only expecting v1 labels would choke on receiving the
UTF8String
tag before the version tag..

I agree that we should remove the version field from ESSSecurityLabel, as
it
serves no useful purpose.

Darren