Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-cms-05.txt

1998-05-28 09:30:04
Russ Housley wrote:

Steve:

I understand your point.  Without a certified originator public key, the
recipient would not be able to determine the source of the message.  This
is always true in the key transport case.

Do we want to permit this case?  At this point, I see no reason to have the
syntax preclude it, but I want to hear from other WG members.

Yes I do want to permit this case. I think forcing a "signature" on
every key agreement enveloped message would be undesirable.

It might discourage people from using key agreement and stick with key
transport (which as you say does not have this property).

There is also the practical issue of there being a mixture of RSA and DH
key carrying certificates. Someone with an RSA key carrying certificate
should not have to get a DH one (and possible CA expense) in order to
send enveloped data to a DH recipient.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.
UK based freelance Cryptographic Consultant. For info see homepage.