Certificate transport encoding question

1998-06-05 10:05:36
I've got two questions about certificate encoding in transport formats, I've
sent them to both lists since they're a bit nonspecific.

The first one concerns the order of certs in a cert chain.  Looking at the CMS
spec, it says that the SET OF Certificate should contain chains from the root
down to each required subject, but doesn't give any explicit ordering.  An
ASN.1 SET is inherently unordered, but is there any recommended, consistent
way to encode a cert chain, or do you just add them in whatever order you feel
like?  So far I've seen them ordered from subject to root, from root to
subject, and pseudorandomly (using the DER SET encoding rules)... all of these
are equally valid, it just seems messy to have any number of possible
orderings present.

The second one concerns something which isn't explicitly addressed by any
standard but which it might be worth covering somewhere.  When a certificate
or cert-related object (cert request, CRL) is base64-encoded, there are again
a large number of different interpretations on what delimiters to use around
the base64 data.  I've seen BEGIN CERTIFICATE, BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST,
BEGIN NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST, BEGIN PGP MESS...no hang on, that's something
else :-).  Alongside these are various creative mutations (extra blank lines,
name:value pairs a la PGP, and other oddities).  It's probably a good idea to
specify a set format for these as well and attach them to some existing
standard.  If there's a need for them I'll put together a paragraph or two
defining the exact format.

Peter.