40 bit RC2, X9.42 issue resolved?

1998-08-19 10:31:33
My appologies if this has been cleared up. I lost rather a lot of mail
from this list recently.

There was an issue involving the precise parameters used by RC2-XX in
S/MIME in particular wrt DH. I said at the time that an X bit RC2
algorithm used in S/MIME used a keylength of X/8 and an X for the
effective number of bits and that DH should follow this for
compatability with the key exchange methods.

Did anyone ever confirm this? Speaking personally I couldn't find any
documentation confirming it *but* it just happens to be "what works"
with current implementations.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson. UK based freelance Cryptographic Consultant.
For info see homepage at http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/