Countersignature Security Consideration

1998-10-15 11:36:14
I am trying to write a simple, short paragraph for the "Security
Considerations" section of CMS dealing with the countersignature issues
discussed at great length on this list.  I do not want to rekindle that debate,
but I do want to make sure that the paragraph captures the concerns raised.

Does the enclosed paragraph cover the issues?  If not, please post a
replacement paragraph.

Russ

= = = = = = = = =

The countersignature unauthenticated attribute includes a digital signature
that is computed on the content signature value, thus the countersigning
process need not know the original signed content.  This structure permits
implementations efficiency advantages; however, this structure may also permit
the countersigning of an inappropriate signature value.  Therefore,
implementations that perform countersignatures should either validate the
original signature value prior to countersigning it (this validation requires
processing of the original content), or implementations should perform
countersigning in a context that ensures that appropriate signature values are
countersigned.