Some comments on SMIME versus PGP

1998-11-05 03:00:37

Our customer (a german bank) uses lotus notes. We are implementing an smime
plugin right now. A couple days ago some representatives have been at a general
german bank conference. At that conference they discussed with other banks
secure email implementations. At the conference many banks argumented pro PGP
and said that PGP would be better than SMIME. Because our customer doesn´t want
to swim against the stream it now tryes to do some convincing work pro SMIME.
Therefore I was looking for the difference between SMIME and PGP.
Your urls helped in the way that they provide a relyable source for statements
pro and against one of those two methods. As well I was struggling to much in
detailed differences. I missed the big picture or better to say I didn´t have
some relyable sources for confirming my thoughts.
In my opinion (as far as I have red), SMIME will become the major standard
because of its compliance with PKI components and the support of major standards
as X.509v3 and PKCS (which isn´t a standard but adopted mainly). As well I
believe the incompatibility between SMIME and PGP will work against PGP.
Would you agree on that?

"Enzo Michelangeli" <em(_at_)who(_dot_)net> on 05.11.98 09:59:36