X942-03

1998-11-20 06:48:12
Eric:

It is looking good.  I have a few comments.

For consistency, please use the spelling that CMS inherited from PKCS#7 v1.5:
        key-encryption key
        content-encryption key

I expected section 2.1.1 to include: g^q (mod p) == 1.

In section 2.1.2, you say: "algorithm is the ASN.1 algorithm OID of the
symmetric algorithm with which this KEK will be used."  I think it would be
more clear to say that is is the OBJECT IDENTIFIER protion of the symmetric
algorithm identifier; no parameters associated with the symmetric algorithm
identifier are used.

Later in section 2.1.2, you say: "Note that pubInfo is required in
Static-Static mode, but MAY appear in Ephemeral-Static mode."  I would
prefer to see the first half of the sentence reworded to include "MUST."

In section 2.1.5, you need to upcase "MAY NOT."

In section 2.2, you say: " When symmetric ciphers stronger than DES are to
be used, a larer m may be advisable."  This screams for a paragraph in
Security Consderations.

Please add a section parallel to section 2.3 that describes Static-Static
Mode.  The term is used in the body of the document, so it probably needs a
description.

Please add a paragraph is the security Considerations section regarding the
size of the private key, x, and the size of the generated symmetric keys.
In general, the private key need to be twices the size of the resulting
symmetric keys.  Note: KEA uses a 160 bit private key to generate 80 bit
SKIPJACK keys.