RE: RecipientInfo vs SignerInfo key identification

1998-11-23 11:10:03
I would not be againist the addition of SKI in CMS, but if that was done
then I believe that the S/MIME message draft would be required to add a MUST
NOT on its use.  The addition of SKI would make sense for other groups
without the history of PKCS#7 already deployed to use.

jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Housley [mailto:housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, November 23, 1998 8:16 AM
To: pgut001(_at_)cs(_dot_)aucKland(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz
Cc: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: RecipientInfo vs SignerInfo key identification

Peter:

The addition of SubjectKeyIdentifier to SignerInfo was considered.  Many
developers felt that backward compatibility with PKCS#7 v1.5 and S/MIME v2
was more important that the shorter certificate reference.

It woulf be very easy to add SubjectKeyIdentifier to SignerInfo if the
group concensus has changed.

Russ