RE: New X9.42 draft

1998-12-10 06:55:56
Changes:

1. Section 2.1.7 missing a return on the pubInfo Paragraph.

2. ASN formatting issue.  Should be another return and indentation for a2 42
<CR> 04 40

3. General statment:  I don't like formulas of the format "ZZ = a ^ b (mod
p)".  This does not make sense to me from my old days in math class.  Should
this be written as "ZZ = (a ^ x) mod p" which corresponds to what my math
teacher said? (I never got into the high level math courses in college.)

4. Section 2.1.1 - reverse the definitions of j and q so that j has a
definition on the same line.

5.  Section 2.1.2 - new text on counter issue.
counter is a 32 bit number, represented in network byte order. Its
     initial value is 1 for any ZZ, i.e. the byte sequence 00 00 00 01
(hex),
     and it is incremented by one every time the above key generation
     function is run for a given KEK.

6.  Section 2.1.7 remove the phase "first invocation" in reference to SHA
hashing, there is no second invocation for RC2.

7. Section 2.2.2 - bullet #2 - What is the "seed 'seed'"  string for.  I
don't follow why the word is there twice.

8.  Security Considerations --  I have a problem with the concept of placing
SHOULD and MAY in this section.  This is suppose to be an advisary section
and I am not sure we want to try and get two implementations that actually
deal with the suggested text.

9.  Section 2.2.1.1 - I would recommend changing '160] 2^' to '160] * 2^'

10.  Section 2.2.1.1 - In step 10 the string starting with "Note" is in
twice.  One should be removed.

jim,