Re: SignerInfo Change

1998-12-18 04:04:34
Russ,

Thanks for the clarification on the reason why it was added.  I believe we
still have scope for extending this to a more useable form and bundling the
changes together.

My developers complained like hell when they first encountered
IssuerAndSerialNumber as it's a complete nightmare when working with
subjectName based repositories.  Using SubjectAndKeyIdentifier would allow very
easy location of certs whether they were in the received SignedData or not.

Regards,

Darren

Darren Harter BSc Hons MBCS CEng
CASM Technical Architect
CASM Programme Office
CESG
Work: dharter(_at_)cesg(_dot_)gov(_dot_)uk
Home: Darren(_dot_)Harter(_at_)bcs(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk

Russ Housley <housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com> 12/16/98 06:50pm >>>
Darren:

The reasonf or the chane is CMC support.  In this case, the signer does not
have a certificate yet.  The point of the message is a certificate request.
 So, the signer does not have a issuer/serial number pair.  This change
lets CMC use the SignerInfo.

The reason for the MSG document change is to mangate the use of a
issuer/serial number pair with S/MIME v3.

Russ