x9.42 and CMS

1999-01-28 09:25:17
Sorry only to be bringing this up at the Last Call stage, but I
don't have any record of it being discussed before.

I'm concerned that the draft-ietf-smime-x942-04 document does not
provide for the use of any hash algorithm other than SHA-1 when deriving
the key from the shared secret. X9.42 provides the KeyDerivationHash
AlgorithmIdentifier. Would it be possible to change the
KeyAgreeRecipientInfo ASN.1 to read (apologies for poor ASN.1 style):

KeyAgreeRecipientInfo ::= SEQUENCE {
  version CMSVersion,  -- always set to 3
  originator [0] EXPLICIT OriginatorIdentifierOrKey,
  ukm [1] EXPLICIT UserKeyingMaterial OPTIONAL,
  keyEncryptionAlgorithm KeyEncryptionAlgorithmIdentifier,
  keyDerivationHash KeyDerivationHashAlgorithmIdentifier
    DEFAULT sha1Identifier,
  recipientEncryptedKeys RecipientEncryptedKeys }

We would then change section 2.1.2 of the draft-ietf-smime-x942-04
document so that the line
  H is the message digest function SHA-1 [FIPS-180]
becomes
  H is a message digest function. In [CMS], the message digest function
  is identified by the keyDerivationHash field of the KeyAgreeRecipientInfo
  if this is present, and is SHA-1 if this field is absent.

Again, my apologies if it's too late to be bringing up this kind of point.

Cheers,

William