Re: KEKRecpientInfo KEKIdentifier

1999-01-29 09:55:02
pgut001(_at_)cs(_dot_)aucKland(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz (Peter Gutmann) writes:
almost never be used in the way you've described.  PGP has worked just fine
for 8 years without a KEKIdentifier, so I don't see why CMS needs to make it
mandatory.  All you need to do is use "kekid [ 0 ] KEKIdentifier OPTIONAL"
and
you can let the users decide whether it really is essential or not - I'm not
asking that it be removed, simply that it be made optional so you can leave
it
out where there's nothing to put in a KEKIdentifier.
I've got to go with Peter here. While I think that for messaging,
the index is more useful, I don't see any harm in making it optional.
We can always make MSG require it.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr(_at_)rtfm(_dot_)com]