RE: Last Call Comments on CMS-10

From: jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com [mailto:jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 2:43 PM
To: Ietf-Smime (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Last Call Comments on CMS-10

I believe that a version 3 SignerInfo MUST cause the parent SignedData
version to be 3.  This strategy allows the receiving software
to be able to
distinquish between an S/MIME v2 or v3 message by looking at
the first field
in the signedData.

I respectfully disagree -- it is possible to have multiple SignerInfos, some
of which are v2 and can be processed by a v2 agent.

If you reword this to be "if all of the SignerInfos are v3, then the parent
SignedData should be version 3" or equivalent verbiage, then I think I'd go
along with it.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060