Re: Correct definition of ContentInfo in CMS-10

1999-02-22 09:21:12
William Ottaway wrote:

Within the body of CMS 10 ContentInfo is defined as : -

ContentInfo ::= SEQUENCE {
        contentType ContentType,
        content [0] EXPLICIT ANY DEFINED BY contentType }

However, in the appendix ContentInfo is defined as : -

ContentInfo ::= SEQUENCE {
     contentType ContentType,
     content [0] EXPLICIT ANY DEFINED BY contentType OPTIONAL }

I assume the one within the body (i.e. content not optional) is correct.

Bill.

In PKCS#7, content is OPTIONAL.  But now with EncapsulatedContentInfo, CMS
doesn't use ContentInfo anyplace but the outer wrapper.

I'd be inclined to leave it OPTIONAL (I mean, what does it hurt?).  S/MIME
might not need it, but someone else might....