Proposed changes to the -msg draft

1999-03-23 10:23:12
Greetings again. As was discussed in Minneapolis, I propose two small but significant changes to the -msg draft. There was pretty strong agreement in the room at the time, but I'm open to feedback from the list.

I propose that the following statement should be added to Section 2.2:

Note that S/MIME v2 clients are only capable of verifying digital signatures using the rsaEncryption algorithm.

I also propose that the following statement should be added to Sec 2.3:

Note that S/MIME v2 clients are only capable of decrypting content encryption keys using the rsaEncryption algorithm.

Both sentences reflect reality, not politics. However, I think it's important to add them because a naive developer who picks up the S/MIME v3 spec might miss the fact that their implementation won't interoperate with v2 implementations unless they add (if they can) rsaEncryption.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium