RE: Cert Attributes in CERTDIST

From: Sean Turner [mailto:turners(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 1999 2:31 PM
To: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Cert Attributes in CERTDIST

I'm sorry if I'm coming at this a bit late, but why are the attributes
that are used to store signature and encryption certificates not
userCertificate as defined in the LDAP schema RFC from PKIX?

I think that the problem is because userCertificate refers to exactly one
certificate.  In order to put in a certificate chain, along with the S/MIME
capabilities of the certificate holder, a new convention must be used.

I may have some of this wrong, so anyone feel free to correct me.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 376 0225 x103  Fax +1 425 376 0915