OID for Two-Key Triple-DES

1999-09-10 07:55:54
Has any standards group defined an OID for two-key triple DES in CBC, i.e.,
EDE where the first and third keys are identical?

The CMC specification states that the same OID should be used as is used
for triple-DES, but that isn't workable in our environment because of the more
favorable treatment allowed two-key DES when used for key management.

If no standards group has published an OID, are there any common-used
vendor (defacto) standards for the same?

If no one has one, I guess we'll have to define one unilaterally, and map it
when and if a standard one emerges.  But I'd rather not.

Bob

Robert R. Jueneman
Security Architect
Network Security Development
Novell, Inc.
122 East 1700 South
Provo, UT 84606
bjueneman(_at_)novell(_dot_)com
1-801-861-7387

DISCLAIMER:
If this message or document is digitally signed, and/or if certificates are
attached, the intended purpose is to
   (1) Ensure that e-mail came from the apparent sender
   (2) Protect e-mail from tampering
   (3) Ensure that the content of e-mail sent to me and encrypted in  my
dual-use key cannot be viewed by others.
It is explicitly NOT the intent of any such signed message or document to
represent any type or form of legally binding contract or other representation,
and any such interpretation WILL BE REPUDIATED, notwithstanding any wording or
implications to the opposite effect in the text of the message         itself;
due in part, but not exclusively, to the fact that the security of my
workstation and its associated cryptography is not judged adequately strong for
such purposes at present.