RE: Problem for public CAs

2000-02-09 09:41:11
Dave,

What you describe is also the practice in our organisation: a fairly simple
addressing structure is presented to the "external world" and a much richer
structure is used internally . I also agree with you that having multiple
e-mail addresses in certificates is a bad idea for several reasons: it gives
away organisational structure that in some cases is sensitive. Furthermore, it
may give away other things about the organisation, such as which employees are
involved in mobile working, for example.

In order to address this kind of requirement in S/MIME, this is precisely the
motivation for the "domain Signature" in the domain security services draft. We
have there a name mapping convention (section 3.1.1) that says that the bit on
the right-hand side of the '@' symbol in the certificate of the domain signer
must be the same as, or an ascendant of that in the originator's address.  (
thus for my e-mail address,
t(_dot_)dean(_at_)eris(_dot_)dera(_dot_)gov(_dot_)uk, the domain signature
could
contain domain-signing-authority(_at_)dera(_dot_)gov(_dot_)uk).

At the last meeting, I believe there was a question raised as to whether
allowing a subset of the originators address in the domain signature is such a
good idea. Some people felt that forcing them to be identical would be better -
ie for t(_dot_)dean(_at_)eris(_dot_)dera(_dot_)gov(_dot_)uk the domain signer
must be
domain-signing-authority(_at_)eris(_dot_)dera(_dot_)gov(_dot_)uk, nothing more,
nothing less. (The
arguments were not discussed in detail.)   We can't make up our minds on this
one: we are probably leaning in favour of allowing the greater flexibility, and
therefore relying on the CA naming policy to prevent certificates with
non-sensible names (e.g. tim(_at_)uk!). However, if you or others have views on
this, they would be most appreciated. We very much hope to nail down this issue
soon, so we can move the Draft towards last call.

Regards,
Tim