Re: Cert Dist Changes

2000-05-18 07:51:10
Jim,

If the new draft specifies that the userSmimeCertificate LDAP attribute
contains either user certificates or CA certificates, it is in conflict
with the PKIX directory schema.  *No* certificates should appear in this
attribute, *All* certificates should be populated in the standard PKIX
locations: userCertificate and caCertificate.

Size considerations are a very minor concern to me, although the size
difference between "smimeCapabilities only" and "smimeCapabilities +
full cert path" is significant.  The major concern is the duplication
of data, and the corresponding likelihood that the data will get out of
sync.  If you believe that it is too difficult to fetch certificates
from the directory when formatting a CertDist object for http
retrieval, or alternatively stripping the cert path out when populating
the CertDist object as a directory attribute,  then you certainly must
not be inclined to check CertDist objects which contain certificates
for consistency with the certs already in the userCertificate and
caCertificate attributes of the directory.

SMIME LDAP attribute definitions must be compatible with and
non-duplicative of PKIX LDAP attribute definitions.  Until that is the
case with Certdist, I will continue to oppose its approval as an RFC.

Regards,
Dave