Canonicalisation of embedded MIME objects

2000-06-23 14:38:56
I have noticed that a number of files as produced by different mail programs do
not seem to be performing canonicalisation of inner objects correctly.

The inner objects use LF for line termination not CRLF pairs. It is my
understanding that breaks MIME rules for canonicalising embedded objects.

To illustrate the problem I enclose a signed-then-encrypted message I have
received:(I have removed the routing information)

The outer message appears as follows(All lines are terminated with <CRLF>
pairs.).

MIIbrgYJKoZIhvcNAQcDoIIbnzCCG5sCAQAxggHEMIHfAgEAMEgwQDELMAkGA1UEBhMCVVMx
ETAPBgNVBAoTCENpdGljb3JwMR4wHAYDVQQLExVFbnRydXN0IERldmVsb3BtZW50IDICBDUa
:
:
VgIT6ci+93vJE1yRs4la/s3WjmovuOg/PSWUwXiw11EbAmBoB6CitHYFM/Q5sC4RdXrwyH2l
1y59mZTTTtLwr7AbuOlojs/KrIe51CYQMeu14XN/K1tKZXpmB0qgcyDmXq69WYEo+aKglqhJ
----

The embedded message looks as follows(All lines are terminated with <LF>).

MIIggQYJKoZIhvcNAQcCoIIgcjCCIG4CAQExCzAJBgUrDgMCGgUAMIISiwYJKoZIhvcNAQcB
:
:
mXw0F0zhCL+ZZdic+fmLh1BQ+rIkVu45zKfJVSI1/F9oyZdaVFMkt0NZaGdjSlvuG6deAhgZ
XJ0KskSW4qT5

The inner application file looks as follows: With Content lines terminated with
<LF> and the data segment with no line ends.

UNA:+.? 'UNB+UNOA:1+

It is my interpretation that the use of <LF> to terminate the Content headers
in the latter two messages above is not valid.

Can someone provide me with a definitive answer.

Thanks,
Bartley.