Question on basicConstraints from RFC 2632

2000-09-10 22:50:00
The material below is from RFC 2632.
Seems to me that the statements about end-entity certificates
in the last two paragraphs conflict with each other.
One says that end-entity certificates contain a basicConstraints
extension
and another says they shouldn't.
Maybe I misunderstood those statements.
Could anyone please enlighten me on the subject?

Many thanks.

4.4.1 Basic Constraints Certificate Extension

   The basic constraints extension serves to delimit the role and
   position of an issuing authority or end-entity certificate plays in a

   chain of certificates.

   For example, certificates issued to CAs and subordinate CAs contain a

   basic constraint extension that identifies them as issuing authority
   certificates. End-entity certificates contain an extension that
   constrains the certificate from being an issuing authority
   certificate.

   Certificates SHOULD contain a basicConstraints extension in CA
   certificates, and SHOULD NOT contain that extension in end entity
   certificates.

--

Gwangsoo Rhee <rhee(_at_)sookmyung(_dot_)ac(_dot_)kr>