RE: WG Last Call:draft-ietf-smime-rcek-01.txt

2001-02-20 12:51:42
Byte reversal seems okay to me.

Russ

At 09:58 AM 2/19/2001 +0000, William Whyte wrote:
> >William suggests byte reversal instead, which seems ok from both
perspectives.

> Okay.  So, since bitwise-NOT and bit-reversal both have shortcomings, what

> are you going to use as the mandatory to implement transform?

As Stephen says, I've suggested byte reversal. In fact, what I
would most like to see as the mandatory to implement transform
is X9.63 key derivation (the key derivation function referred
to as KDF2 in IEEE P1363a), but to the best of my knowledge there's
no stable, freely-available description of this that we could
reference. If anyone fancied writing it up as an RFC that'd
be very nice...

(I have to say I'm uncomfortable with the hacky use of PKCS#5
here. But at least PKCS#5 is referenceable).

Cheers,

William

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com