RE: S/MIME version number

2001-04-18 07:41:24
"Pawling, John" <John(_dot_)Pawling(_at_)GetronicsGov(_dot_)com> writes:

I agree that there are work-arounds for this problem, but I prefer that we
define a clean strategy (i.e. new SignedData and EnvelopedData version
numbers), rather than needing to resort to work-arounds.

Given that use of ACs is currently essentially nonexistant and that ACs used
with S/MIME are probably[0] completely nonexistant, why is this an issue?  It's
not as if it's going to break some vast installed base of software if we just
say that ACs use the 2000 syntax and leave the version numbers alone.

Peter.

[0] Added as a safety catch just in case there is some solitary implementation
    floating around out there.