RE: SMIME-TYPE question

2001-07-06 09:34:20

First I'd like to answer Jim's question. Doing so makes me question
a few things that I thought I knew. Perhaps someone else
knows all of them.

(1) I thought that according to RFC-2634, a signed-receipt identified
    with a content-type OID id-ct-receipt is the content by itself,
    never needs to be wrapped in a signed data, never is encrypted.
    I thought that there would never exist a signed-receipt triple
    wrapped. Please comment.

The following 4 are somehow the same question but still I'd appreciate
if someone could confirm or correct each.

(2.1) I thought that there would always be an outer layer with a Content
    Info containing precisely the content-type. Can someone please
    comment?

(2.2) According to CMS rfc-2630bis, each layer signed-data,
    enveloped-data, or signed-receipt would be encapsulated in a
    ContentInfo.

(2.3) For MIME there is the additional inner id-data that does not
    exist with X.400, but I thought that both X.400 and MIME use
    the outer ContentInfo wrapping. Please comment.

(2.4)I thought that it implies that a signed-receipt also is wrapped
    in a ContentInfo. Please comment and correct if I am wrong.