RE: S/MIME 3 Clients - Are there such?

2001-09-10 08:39:46

Anders,

It is possible to configure Microsoft Outlook to allow for not having
the E-Mail address in a certificate.  However due to the "problems"
involved in getting associations correct, the decision was mad that this
should not be default behavior.

jim

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Anders
Rundgren
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 7:35 AM
To: michael(_at_)stroeder(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: S/MIME 3 Clients - Are there such?

Michael,
Thanx for the answer.

I guess this option was introduced to be able to use your
"electronic ED-Card"
from anywhere and make the mail-system to be regarded as "transport"
in the same way as SSL.

The same could be valid for mobile-phones and PKI as well.
I.e. the phone-number is just an identified but anyway "bearer".

Or for e-business where the org-cert contains a DUNS-number which
is more important than mail-address.  Lets say a portal with buyers
using the same domain.

But it does get a little bit weird.

Anders