which is easier?

2001-09-17 09:00:43

Folks,

I'm involved in writing up a spec [*] that uses
EnvelopedData. I want it to be easily usable with current
toolkits and I've a question about the MIME encodings to use.

The data is binary and the EnvelopedData are carried in a
binary protocol so I think the only issue is what's easiest for
folks (who don't know s/mime) to code using existing APIs.

Should I:-

1. MIME encode the data before encryption?
2. MIME encode the data after encryption?
3. both of the above
4. neither of the above

That is, should my ciphertext look like:

1. EnvelopedData-fnc(MIME-enc(data),receipient-stuff...)
2. MIME-enc(EnvelopedData-fnc(data,receipient-stuff...))
3. MIME-enc(EnvelopedData-fnc(MIME-enc(data),receipient-stuff...))
4. EnvelopedData-fnc(data,receipient-stuff...)

Answers off-list are fine (and much appreciated),
Ta,
Stephen.

[*] If you're interested its a AAA WG work item, the next version of:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-cms-sec-02.txt

Stephen Farrell
Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 881 6716
39 Parkgate Street,                     fax: +353 1 881 7000
Dublin 8.                mailto:stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)baltimore(_dot_)ie
Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com