RE: WG Last Call: x400transport and x400wrap

2001-10-23 12:53:14
Michel,

   Not exactly, but close.  The "encrypted body" referred to in step 4 is
the encryptedContent field of the encryptedContentInfo.  However, I think
your comment still applies.  I would suggest that the parenthetical phrase
in step 5 should be replaced with "(the entire EnvelopedData structure)".

   Please contact me if you have further questions.

Chris Bonatti

 |  International Electronic Communication Analysts, Inc.  |
 |  Christopher D. Bonatti              Tel: 301-208-2349  |
 |  Principal Engineer                  Fax: 301-208-2379  |

From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Musy
Michel-P28089
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 13:27
To: Housley, Russ; ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: WG Last Call: x400transport and x400wrap

Request for Clarification:

The following steps decribe how to build a tripple wrapped message
with an X.400 content. Is the "encrypted body" only the
encryptedContentInfo?
This is my understanding.
If so, should Step 4 after the text "This is called the "encrypted body"."
specify that the enveloped data structure is built?
And shouln't Step 5 instead of referencing "(the encrypted body)", should
reference the envelope data structure?

Attached below Step 4 and Step 5 as they appear in the document.
I understand that the "encrypted body" is not the whole envelope
data but the whole envelope data structure should be signed.
Please clarify if there is something that I misunderstood.

Michel
email: michel(_dot_)musy(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com

Step 4. Encrypt the result of step 3 as a single block. The
EnvelopedData encryptedContentInfo contentType MUST be set to
id-signedData. This is called the "encrypted body".

Step 5. Using the same logic as in step 2 and 3 above, sign the result
of step 4 (the encrypted body) as a single block. The SignedData
encapContentInfo eContentType MUST be set to id-envelopedData. The outer
SignedData structure is encapsulated by a ContentInfo SEQUENCE with a
contentType of id-signedData.