RE: RFC2630-bis comment

2001-12-05 21:21:42

Russ,

While it is true that the order cannot be known after the decode, if you
re-encode the set of attributes the correct order will be obtained.

jim

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Housley,
Russ
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 3:15 PM
To: jimsch(_at_)exmsft(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: RFC2630-bis comment

Jim:

My understanding is that ASN.1 tool sets are not guaranteed
to preserve the
order with a SET on decode.  So, if the attribute has more
than one value,
then the values must be places in sort order to ensure that
the originator
and the recipient will compute the same hash value.  If the attribute
values can be in an arbitrary ordering, a recipient cannot
know the order
used by the originator.

Russ