RE: The subject line leakage problem

2001-12-17 15:15:47

At 1:37 PM -0800 12/17/01, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
On the 'replace other headers', the problem there is that we end up back in
the rat-hole. People will propose all sorts of random headers ad infinitum.

That doesn't matter because RFC 2822 allows you to add as many ill-conceived headers as you want to a message.

And others will counter that there are integrity problems and then we have
the interop issue, etc.

There is no interop issue. What I proposed was that headers found in the body part be *displayed* in the message, not substituted into the message for storage. It's a user presentation hack, not a message format hack.

I don't think that the problem is big enough to require a whole new S/MIME
spec to solve, just a minor tweak to implementations.

Fully agree.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium