Updated Draft of NIST S/MIME V3 Client Profile Now Available

2002-01-03 15:11:30
FYI,

I have posted a new version of the draft S/MIME V3 Client Profile on the web.
You can find it at: http://csrc.nist.gov/pki/smime/draft_SMIMEProfile.pdf

(See http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/mail-archive/msg00861.html for previous
message with background on the NIST S/MIME V3 Client profile.)

There is also a description of our work at: http://csrc.nist.gov/pki/smime/welcome.htm

NIST has solicited comments from you and we have incorporated almost
all changes requested into the new document.  Most comments received were
editorial in nature, or asked for clarification.

The new draft has these major changes from the previous (May, 2001) draft:

An Executive Summary for Procurement Officials, Implementers, Vendors, and Others interested in S/MIME Technology from a less technical perspective;

A clarification (in Clause 2.4.4) that the path building requirements are intended to require that all S/MIME clients be able to transverse non-hierarchical (e.g., bridge
     PKIs) as well as hierarchical PKIs;

Relaxation of the requirement (in Clause 2.3.2) to always require user notification when an incoming S/MIME message is signed by a certificate that contains an email address that does not match the email address used as "From" address. (This change was prompted by NIST's observation that many new certificates will not
     contain email addresses.)

The major unresolved comment on the May draft is the issue of mandating
signed receipt processing support. (See Clauses 2.2., 2.3, and 3.1.) NIST received
a comment requesting that this mandate be dropped.

The comment argued that including a requirement for signed receipt support would add cost and complexity to S/MIME products, and that the cost of this additional functionality should be bourne by the agencies that require this service, enabling other agencies that do not require the service to obtain less complex and less costly S/MIME v3 client systems. Agencies that do not want/need signed receipts should not be required to request it in their
purchases of messaging systems.

NIST has felt that the additional cost and complexity were justified by ubiquity of signed receipt support among U.S. Federal Agencies. We intend to resolve this issue very soon and then publish the S/MIME V3 Client Profile. We have almost completed the process
of soliciting U.S. Federal Agencies on this issue.

I will be pleased to receive any further comments on the new draft until the
end of January 2002.

(Note:  The old draft and updated information on the NIST S/MIME program are
available at: http://csrc.nist.gov/pki/smime/welcome.htm).

The NIST S/MIME V3 Test Facility (see http://csrc.nist.gov/pki/smime/smtest.htm) is not yet operational, but it is expected to become operational (with limited test
cases at first) during the first quarter of 2002.

Thanks,
   Mike Chernick

C. Michael Chernick
+1-301-975-3610   chernick(_at_)nist(_dot_)gov
Computer Security Division
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)