Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt

2002-03-18 12:46:53
Some minor comments:

Para 1.1 - Attribute Certificate - I don't want to open a can of worms but should we point to the PKIX AC profile instead of X.509?  Also please add period to last sentence.

Para 2.1 and 4,1 - I'm confused by the sentence "All agents MUST perform revocation status checking in accordance with [KEYM]."  I thought PKIX didn't mandate any particular revocation status checking scheme like CRLs, OCSP, SCVP, etc..  Are you trying to say if you use CRLs as the revocation status check scheme then you have to use the process in PKIX?

Cheers,

spt

Internet-Drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org wrote:

This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : S/MIME Version 3.1 Certificate Handling
        Author(s)       : B. Ramsdell
        Filename        : draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt
        Pages           :
        Date            : 11-Feb-02

S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions), described in
[SMIME-MSG], provides a method to send and receive secure MIME
messages. Before using a public key to provide security services, the
S/MIME agent MUST certify that the public key is valid. S/MIME agents
MUST use PKIX certificates to validate public keys as described in the
Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure (PKIX) Certificate and CRL
Profile [KEYM]. S/MIME agents MUST meet the certificate processing
requirements documented in this document in addition to those stated
in [KEYM].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt".

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Send a message to:
        mailserv(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_)
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        how to manipulate these messages.

Internet-Draft.