RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-00.txt

2003-03-10 16:29:46

Jon:

CMS no longer includes any mandatory to implement algorithms. This was done so that each application could assign the best algorithms for their environment.

For S/MIME version 3.1, the mandatory to implement encryption algorithm is Triple-DES. I do not expect this to change. However, there has been discussion about making AES a SHOULD implement algorithm. The "Use of AES with CMS" specification is finally nearly finished. This is intended to send a message to implementors that AES will probably become a MUST implement algorithm in the future. At that time, AES would become MUST and Triple-DES would become SHOULD (to preserve interoperability with old algorithms).

Russ